Monday, August 10, 2009

Center Point Church

When I first began attending Center Point, they held their services at Regal theaters in Hamburg. It definitely wasn't your typical church service. They have since moved to a storefront behind the Kroger on Richmond Rd. You can check out their website here if you are interested in attending.

They have a full praise and worship band, complete with electric guitars and drums. The music was great! The worship leader was really enthusiastic and passionate about his faith. In addition to leading worship, he delivered the message on more than one occasion.

I was greeted at the door, and the greeters remembered my name the following week. The church is made up of mostly younger attendees--college-aged or young families. There were a few families with teenagers as well. The attire is strictly casual, and most people wear jeans.

I felt welcomed at first. However, one of the vital functions of a church is to make connections, to have a fellowship. People were very friendly and welcoming. It was mostly a "Hi, how are you?" rhetorical question as opposed to really being interested in getting to know me. Most churches have Sunday School or small group options on Sunday morning. Center Point has what they call Connect groups, and you were offered these as a way to get in touch with people.

I advocate being involved with church more than once a week. I have never wanted to be a Sunday Christian. It's important that you serve as well, either at church or some other opportunity in the community. The reality is that most people are very busy with their family's activities during the week.

With that in mind, I think it is essential that a church fosters fellowship relationships during the Sunday service. At Center Point, I never felt like anyone's conversation with me went anything farther than a surface connection. I attended church several times and never felt like anyone was interested in getting to know me.

I thought when I started attending this church that it was a nondenominational church. Boy, was I wrong! I stayed after the Sunday morning service for their Intro to Center Point session. The three men on the pastoral staff led the session and talked about the history of the church, how the senior pastor chose Lexington as the location for his church plant. Personally, I think we have quite enough churches as it is!

Then came the bomb. They're part of the Southern Baptist convention. Yes, that convention. Where women are not welcome as leaders in ministry. Where divorce is not tolerated. Where homosexuality is decried as the worst sin.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, though. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and did not ask about women in ministry in the open session. Instead, I emailed the pastor. I received a very nice, very prompt reply telling me that the church adheres to the scripture in 1 Timothy. In short, while women are welcome in leadership positions in the church, they are not welcome in pastorate positions. That was the last time I attended a service at Center Point

In essence, Center Point was not for me. I am too much of a feminist to feel comfortable attending a church where women were not treated equally. I felt a little bit like they were Baptist on the down low. They were definitely not open and honest about their Baptist doctrine. I ended up with the feeling that I was lied to the whole time I was attending.

I was actually attending with a friend at the time, and I believe my friend still attends the church. I know that my experience isn't the only one. It's just mine. I would love to hear from other people who have attended the church and might have had a different experience.

2 comments:

  1. If a church condones homosexuality, they are not a Bible-believing church. Sex between the same gender is a sin. Sex before marriage is a sin. No sin is greater in God's eyes. All sin is the same. However, it is not our place to judge others and homosexuals or any sinner (which is all of us) are welcome to attend church.

    In reference to Southern Baptists being sexist. Women are encouraged to participate in leadership positions. However, just as the Southern Baptists believe and the Bible teaches, we believe men are the spiritual leader of the household and therefore the leader of the church. Men are to serve their wives and love the women as Jesus loved the church. Too many men forget that. If the man is faithful, serves and loves his wife in this way, than the woman will serve him as well. Both are equal.

    I'd like to encourage you to instead of church-surfing, to stop looking for a church that fits your needs and find one that you feel YOU can serve faithfully. I assure you, no church, if they serve the Lord and believe the Bible, is there to fit 'your' needs. Only God's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bible is interpreted by people. Fallible, sinful people. The Bible can be interpreted in almost any way to support any argument. The Bible as we read it has been translated from its original language. Churches supporting homosexuality not being Bible believing churches is YOUR belief. I disagree. I believe the same thing where women in ministry is concerned, although I do agree with your argument that men forget they are also to love and serve their wives as Jesus loved the church.

    The Bible is also being read out of its historical context. I daresay the Bible would be quite different if it were written in modern-day America. Jesus ate with the prostitutes and the tax collectors. He didn't criticize those people, but met them with love.

    I take issue with you say that I call the Southern Baptist convention sexist. I said that at no point during my post. Your comment puts words into my mouth in that regard. I simply stated my experience and that I do not agree with the SBC.

    I'm also sorry that you have gotten the impression that I'm looking for a church that fits my needs. I truly believe that we are all one body in Christ. It disappoints me in general that we feel the need to separate ourselves based on the nuances of interpretation.

    Instead, I am on a spiritual journey to clarify what I believe to myself. I'm not making any judgments regarding any church or denomination. I am sharing my experience and either saying that a church is for me or not. I am looking for a place where I feel passionately about what they do, missions-wise, and a place where I feel that I meet God. I'm looking for God's church. Many of the places I attend are man's church.

    ReplyDelete