Sunday, August 30, 2009

Twin Pines Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

I have to give this church a Friendliest Church award! I arrived 10 minutes before the church was to start and was greeted by at least 3 people. Not just hi, how are you greetings, but who are you greetings. Quality greetings along with the quantity! I had more people greet me after the service--something like half a dozen. At no time did I feel overwhelmed by people greeting me, and I felt very much that they wanted to know who I was and to have me return to church. They also gave me a welcome bag as I left. Talk about a warm welcome!

Twin Pines is currently holding their services in an alternate location in their building due to renovations. Instead of pews, there were chairs set up. The accoustics were a bit of a problem, to be honest. There was an echo at first, but they realized it and dealt with it appropriately. It was difficult to hear the choir and the instruments to some extent. I daresay that it isn't a problem when they are in their sanctuary.

They had a small choir, two guitarists, a keyboardist, and a drummer. The pastor doubled as one of the guitarists! All of the pastors at the church are women, and that's certainly something I can get on board with!

They had a children's moment where they took up a "noisy collection," asking for your pocket change. That was the first time I'd heard it referred to like that. I think that everyone there enjoyed it. Talk about a great way to part with your money!

They state in the bulleting that they have a nursery for ages birth to 3, then invite children up to 2nd grade to participate in a children's service called Worship & Wonder. I felt like the church was very child-friendly, but I think that the Jewish faith has it right when they hold bar/bat mitzvahs at age 13 to celebrate the advent of adulthood. Children between 2nd grade and 8th or so fall through the cracks in this way. I don't think that those kids get anything out of sitting through a church service. In the same way, I think that it's also not a good idea to have a separate service for teenagers. An additional service/group, yes. Separate, no.

The only other comments I have to make are that the communion service was interesting. They used little cups, but in addition to communion squares, they also had a piece of bread you could tear off, catering to either preference. Everyone drank their cup at the same time, which is a bit too ritualistic for me.

I really enjoyed my visit to Twin Pines, and I will most likely visit again in the future. I am really enjoying journeying through the different churches in the area, meeting all the people and seeing each church's quirks, rituals, and personality. I'm not ready to settle down and commit yet, so to speak!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beatrice

    Here's a good video I found on YouTube about religion, you might like to view it and see what you think.

    ”God in my life”

    I think it makes a lot of good common sense don't you?

    From

    Chris Hill
    (Lancaster)

    American youth: Young gifted and passionate about religion. ”Fiery lady”
    .
    .

    ReplyDelete