Saturday, August 1, 2009

A New Beginning

I'm going to church in the morning for the first time in nearly a year. Intellectually, I'm excited about it. I'm excited about blogging about it and telling people what I thought. I'm looking forward to thinking about religion/theology again.

Emotionally, I'm not very excited at all. I feel like I've forgotten how to dress for church, how I should act at church, and even the rituals. Of course, every different church has its own rituals. I really enjoy figuring out what the quirks of each particular church are, and I'm sure that the words will come back to me quickly enough. I don't feel the passion for church any more. I think that is really what I'm searching for.

I feel like I am going about this totally differently than I ever have before. In the past, I've always been hunting for a church home. I am now, but I don't expect to find one. I feel like I will never find a church that measures up to my last church. I'm not ruling it out, but I wonder where a place is for me in a very conservative geographical area. Where do the liberals go to church? Do they go to church at all? I don't know where to find them. That really is a question that those who churchsurf face: Where can I find the people like me?

1 comment:

  1. Due to my work with churches at Lightworks New Media, I found out about this particular denomination, if you can call it that.

    It is called Unitarian Universalist. There is one in Lexington on Clays Mill Rd.

    Here is their web site. You may want to add it to your list!!

    http://uucl.org/index.htm

    I am a Conservative, and have no trouble, but I can understand how being liberal, it would be tough.

    ReplyDelete